CHURCH HISTORY & TOUR
In the early 1880s, Catharine Maria Sparke, widow of Canon Edward Sparke (Canon of Ely Cathedral 1829-1878 and son of Bishop Sparke), was seeking to provide a suitable memorial to her late husband. A new church in the overcrowded riverside area of Ely was decided upon as a fitting tribute and generous endowments were provide for its future funding including provision for a Priest to serve it. The foundation stone was laid on St Peter's Day 1889 and the church was dedicated on Monday 30 June, 1890.
St Peter-in-Ely continues to hold the unusual position of a Proprietary Chapel within The Church Of England and Diocese of Ely. The church contains much of historical interest especially the great Rood Screen by Sir Ninian Comper and the East window by Charles Kempe. The pictorial tour and documents below tell a little more of its story and give a glimpse of what you may find here today.
A Quick Pictorial Tour of the church
Click on an image to enlarge and scroll through
A Brief History of St Peter's Church
The first three paragraphs of this history are from former guidebooks to the church (revised). The remainder is by Dr Janet Fairweather chiefly on the basis of research for the 125th anniversary exhibition in 2014. Click here to read
The Comper Rood Screen
The Rood Screen is claimed on good authority to be the earliest major work of Sir John Ninian Comper having been designed and installed in the early 1890s. Click here to read more
Further information about St Peter-in Ely may be found on Wikipedia